If you are using computer systems or you know about the operating systems, you must be aware of Unix. Unix is an operating system for computer systems. It is not a new operating system which is developed recently. But it is an operating system that is in use for a long time. Its development started in the late 1960s in AT&T’s Bell Laboratories. Some of its design attributes which were released in the beginning are still there. This operating system was made on the highly programmable language C. So, you can install it easily on the computer systems which have C compiler in them. However, the initial Unix Operating System was not written in C language it was written in Assembly Language. It was the 4th version of the Unix Operating System which was written in C programming language in the year 1973. The Antitrust Regulations didn’t allow Bell Labs from marketing this operating system. Due to this, it was said to be one of the low price or inexpensive operating system. Also, it is said that this operating system is multi-user and multi-tasking, which makes it one of the best and powerful operating systems.
The developers of the UNIX Operating system were Ken Thompson, Brian Kernighan, Dennis Ritchie, Joe Ossanna, and Douglas Mcllroy. During the project of Multics in 1969 only, the concept and idea of Unix came. Multics project was based on the time-sharing system. This means that access to the mainframe computer was allowed to multiple users. It was in the year 1971 when the first manual was published. Initially, when Unix was developed it was made for the internal use only in the Bell System Research Center. But later on, in the late 1970s, AT&T provided the license of the Unix to other parties also apart from the internal parties of Bell System. Just like you see the different versions of a single operating system these days, similarly, Unix also had multiple generations. The Unix operating system’s multiple generations made it possible to be used in various machines. As it was low in price and was portable, so it became a popular operating system to be used in most of the universities at that time. Even today also, there are many companies that are making use of the Unix Operating System for different requirements. It can be used for the complex processes also as it comes with the tools that have well-defined functions, shell scripting, unified file system, and the command languages. All these tools when combined together can help in performing complex tasks also. There are many operating systems which were developed later on but are influenced by the Unix Operating System only.
One of the best things about using the Unix operating system was that the users customized and modified it according to their use. And it was possible because it was distributed in the source language form only by the Bell Labs. That is why in the late 1970s, there were many sites where the Unix operating system was used. And different versions of the Unix operating system were in use at these different sites. It was in the year 1982 when AT&T started the marketing of the Unix operating system seriously after the breakup. Later on, AT&T sold the Unix Operating Systems rights to Novell in the early 1990s. Then in the year 1995, the Unix Business was again sold by Novell to Santa Cruz Operation. Later on, the trademark UNIX was passed to a neutral industry The Open Group. It provides consent to make use of the UNIX trademark for the certified operating systems which follow and agree with the SUS (Single UNIX Specification).
Uses of Unix Operating System
As we already mentioned above the Unix Operating System can be used for different purposes in the universities, different companies, and for supporting different applications also. For the Web Servers, Domain Name System (DNS), and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Unix Operating System is said to be one of the best platforms. It has a great architecture that supports the applications by preserving the resources for it. If you are making use of the Unix Operating System, then you will easily get a safe and stable platform for the applications. Adult dating apps like Local Sex App have the ability to be accessed and used via desktop or mobile device. Similar applications for dating utilize Unix to allow for flexibility when the inevitable need to evolve with mounting tech debt occurs. This is a common challenge of many app companies an Unix provides space for creative solutions.
Benefits of Unix Operating System
Unix Operating System has robust features, and that is why it is still in use. Its features have made it popular and beneficial to use. If you have already used the Unix Operating System, you must be aware of the different benefits of the Unix Operating System. Below we have mentioned some of the important benefits of the Unix Operating System.
- Portable – Unix Operating System is a portable operating system. You can use it on different machines and that too without much difficulty. We have already mentioned above also that how the Unix Operating System can be used in different companies for various applications and purposes. And this is possible only because of the portable operating system.
- Availability of Virtual Memory – Unix Operating System has virtual memory which is very efficient for the different programs. One can easily make use of the virtual memory if any program requires more memory than the physical memory for running.
- Product Development – Talking about product development, so you should know that Unix is one such operating system which is quite helpful in product development. As they are being optimized, so they are quite helpful for developing different types of programs properly.
- Multitasking – This is something which you all know and it is known as we have mentioned this above also. Multiple users can access and run the system by connecting it to the terminals. Multiple programs are used simultaneously in a single system.
- Easy to modify – Unix operating system can be used across different architectures and it is possible only because it is easy to modify. Because of the high-level language used in the Unix Operating System, it can be transferred and modified easily. This allows users to change the language codes easily. So, as per the hardware requirement, one can change or modify the language code.